21 Feb 2014

Beauty Corner #2 | My favourite skincare and haircare products


I discovered in Gem's column in the Paris issue of Company magazine that Brits don't really do body hydration. I'll be honest: I was kinda shocked. Growing up, my brother and I always had a tub of body moisturiser in our room (yes, even when we were young enough to share a room.) It might just be a family thing, but I doubt it; this being said, my mum was nice enough to pass on to me her crocodile skin. Yay for extra dry hair and itchy legs!

So moisturising was always a thing, but to be honest, this is as far as I went skincare wise for a long time (and don't get me started on hair: I used to bleach my hair and NOT use conditioner. Can't believe I didn't go bald.) Fortunately, I grew up, got into beauty and can now properly take care of myself. To the point it's a slight obsession (no one let me into Lush or Aesop.)

So here are my favourite skincare and haircare products! As I mentioned above, I have very dehydrated skin, and even dryer hair since it is curly and coloured. If you're like me, I'd say go for anything that says 'shea butter' or 'almond' — but if you need a little more guidance, read on!

Le Petit Marseillais nourishing balm for extra dry skin
This is the best stuff ever. It is the creamiest, dreamiest, most nourishing body butter I have ever used. One application of this stuff will make the driest legs go super smooth, and it smells de-li-cious. I really love Le Petit Marseillais and especially their shea butter nourishing range. This one's also got sweet almond and argan oil in.

Le Petit Marseillais nourishing hair mask
I said above I used to bleach my hair and not used conditioner... Don't focus on that, focus on this hair mask: it saved my hair! I use it once or twice a week and it really makes a difference. My curls are much bouncier and my hair really healthier when I use it. Plus, it smells divine (shea butter again, with honey) and leaves my hair super soft.

Lush Oatifix fresh face mask
Lush masks aren't the sexiest thing (not that any face masks really are). Covering your face in oatmeal is a bit special, and it does take some getting used to to apply it without getting it all over the place. But it does a great job. I can feel it work when it's on, especially on the driest areas of my face, and it leaves my skin really hydrated and smelling like yummy oatmeal.

Lush Let the Good Times Roll cleanser
This is a very exfoliating cleanser. If you have super sensitive skin, try and resist its delicious smell and do not use it every day. Once or twice a week is enough to get rid of dry skin and make your face brighter. Did I say it smells perfect? It smells perfect.

Neutrogena concentrated hand cream
I started using this when I worked at Starbucks last year. Washing up all winter really damaged my hands, my knuckles were bleeding all the time. I got this and in a few days they got back to their normal happy state. This cream is magical, the tiniest amount will go a long way and can be felt for several hours. It's also great to massage in cuticles.

René Furterer curl enhancer leave-in fluid
My hair stylist recommended this to me four of five years ago and I have never looked back! After washing my hair, I comb it then scrunch it with a towel before applying 2-3 pumps of this fluid on each side of my hair. I simply rub it between my hands then scrunch my hair. It really defines my curls and makes my hair glossier and less frizzy. I've started alternating it with Bumble & Bumble Curl Conscious Creme but... René Furterer's just better.

& Other Stories hand lotion in Couture Carnival
This is my bedside table hand cream (we all have one, don't we?) Mostly because it looks great, but also because it's quite light I love falling asleep to its fruity fragrance. I bought this for the first time a few weeks into dating the man and without fail when I apply it, he goes 'mmmh strawberries!' I call this a winner.

I'm sure I'll have more on the list soon. I'm still looking for a good budget-friendly and silicone-free shampoo & conditioner combo for coloured hair and the perfect face moisturiser... Suggestions welcome! x

No comments:

Post a Comment