8 Jan 2014

Beauty Corner #1 | Top ten makeup products I couldn't live without

One thing I'm going to try in 2014 is introducing some more of my life loves to this blog. Surprisingly, my life isn't all food and Instagram, there are other occupations to my days, and no I don't just mean sleeping... There's one that takes a lot of my time (and money, too.) I'm not sure where it came from, I think it was YouTube? Basically, I caught a bug and just like that poof! beauty addict.

Yes yes, it's beauty bits and bobs I'm talking about! We're going to be chatting face masks and lipsticks, makeup brushes and dry shampoo and we'll attempt to find the best curl enhancer ever and maybe even paint our nails fun colours. I say 'we' to make it sound exciting, but really it's just me, all alone because really my mum has never been into beauty and doesn't understand how I fell into it, my friends don't spend their evenings comparing skincare products online, and I can't ask my sweet little man to do my makeup for fun every weekend (although on that one, I'll keep trying.)

You know me, don't expect a weekly post or any particular format, calling it Beauty Corner will do for me to keep organised. Introducing it like this makes it super official, but it's just one little thing more; I just thought it needed a little background since I have barely ever mentioned beauty tings on here before!

Note: I'll probably often mention (a) Sephora products as I am madly addicted. Sorry Brits! You can order from the French online store, though. Or hop on the Eurostar. (b) French products. Sorry again.

Ready?... To start this off here's my ultimate top ten makeup products I couldn't live without. Or only if I really had to. These ones I carry around all the time in my little makeup bag and will keep buying forever. It's real love.


Sephora 4 shadows and liner palette in Taupe model n°6
I'd just gotten into makeup and figured out that browns suit blue eyes when I bought this, and it is the basic palette to me. I use it at least every other day for a basic taupe smokey but it can be built on for a fancier night look. And it lasts ages.

Sephora 8hr matifying pressed powder in Clair 21 - petal
Fair enough, this isn't a revolutionary product. Still, I've used it for years and keep coming back to it. It does the job perfectly.

Sephora smudge & shadow brush
Yes, this is a brush for lazy bums. So what? I use this for all my basic eyes (mostly with the Taupe quad mentioned above) and even for my eyebrows (!) Careful, this isn't a brush for makeup artists and fancy people... But for those who want the job done well and quick. And ultimately, we all know it's not just about the brush... it's all in the wrist.


MAC lipstick in Viva Glam I
Every girl needs a real red. That's mine. Bought on a whim in le Marais, I don't wear it too often but when I do, it makes a hell of statement. Darkish bold red + matte = love. And a great colour for redheads as it's got blue undertones.

ck one shine lipstick in Tagged
Upon ending my internship at Company mag, I got given lots of beauty gems to try out... This was one of them. It didn't look like my style at all ("Glossy, shimmery and pink? Hell no," was pretty much my initial reaction) but it said Calvin Klein so I tried it — and loved it. It's really easy to apply,  forgiving even for badly defined lips and gives a really bright pop of colour. Thumbs up!

Gemey Maybelline The Rocket Volume Express mascara
Isn't 'finding the perfect mascara' in the ladies' top five life goals? (Along with 'finding the perfect sports bra' and 'snog George Clooney.') Well, long story short, I did it. I found the perfect mascara. When I started using this, people actually noticed a difference! The wand is great, the application easy, my lashes are long and voluminous, top marks.


Naked 2
I don't think I need to explain Naked... Or why it's fabulous... This palette has everything I need, the shadows are fantastic, richly pigmented and buildable + easy enough to use even for beginners. A dream.

Sephora Trio de Lune eyeshadow in Bermuda Triangle
I take this everywhere because (a) it's got shimmery gold and rust shadows which work really well with my Sephora quad when I don't have my Naked 2 and (b) the blue shadow works brilliantly as a liner when applied with a humid brush.

Cotton buds
It's time makeup lovers give cotton buds the credit they deserve. Cotton buds fix (practically) every mistake possible and I personally don't go a day without using them! Plus, they're handy to smudge...

Bioderma Créaline
The beauty vlogger sphere was so adamant about this product I went home curious and bought myself a bottle... I'm never going back. My skin is very dry and sensitive and most traditional makeup removers (even for sensitive eyes) used to leave me with rough patches under my eyes. Créaline is top notch. Not a single problem. Even my mum loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment