16 Dec 2013

SC#35 | Asian inspired squash and carrot soup

This soup is another case of staring at my vegetable-filled fridge after getting my first Abel & Cole box and thinking "what the hell do I do now?"

Well, soup is my go-to when I'm not too inspired, so off everything went in boiling water! I also chucked a can of coconut milk in there to make it a bit special — hence why it's called Asian inspired. It's really me trying very hard to pretend I made Thai curry soup when really I didn't. Still tasty though!

Anecdote: the squash I used for this soup really confused me when I dugged it out from my veg box. It was too orange to be a butternut squash, and I actually originally thought it wasn't even a squash at all (because I'm blind and somehow convinced myself its skin was sharon fruit-like. It wasn't. It was squash-like. Here's the beast:)


Asian inspired squash and carrot soup
4-5 servings
- 1 medium sized squash
- 5-6 carrots
- 1 medium union
- chilli flakes
- 1 can coconut milk
- vegetable stock
- salt and pepper

Peel and chop your squash and carrots into little pieces, set aside. Heat a little olive oil in a pot, and sweat the chopped onion. When translucid, add in the squash and carrots, give it a good mix and cook for about 5 minutes, mixing a few times.
Pour vegetable stock until it about covers the vegetables (note: my stock technique is to crumble the stock cube on my dish, pour boiling water and mix.) Add in chilli flakes to your liking. Bring it to a boil then let it simmer until the carrots are soft.
Take it off the heat, mix with a hand blender then bring to the boil again. Immediately lower the heat, season, add in the coconut milk, give it a good mix and serve!


Eat warm or give it a freeze for a lazy night! Not too sure when the next post will come as I'm off home soon... Just in case, merry Christmas!! x

1 comment:

  1. Seems delicious :)
    I've just remembered you had this website, thus I had a look at it.
    Well, I hope you're doing well !
    Eléna

    ReplyDelete