15 Nov 2013

SC#33 | The Greatest Mash Ever and Spicy Roasted Veg with Abel & Cole

So you know I like food. But, confession, I've been pretty lame on the food plan recently. As I mentioned a few days ago, I've had maaaaany a takeaway recently, eaten my fair share of pizzas and sandwiches (yum yum chicken bacon avocado) and probably devoured my weight in crisps — thus making me heavier; ahh, the infinite circle of crisp eating.

Fast forward to the weekend I decide to be healthy, go to the gym twice and order my first ever Abel & Cole box. Don't know Abel & Cole? They're an organic food delivery company: they pack up tasty veg and fruit from their partner farmers every week and drop off boxes of goodness on your doorstep. Bonus: they are actually a full-on online food shop, where you can order everything from bread to dairy, meat, washing up liquid and Christmas food hampers.

I got a free box thanks to my good mate Claudia. (Befriend food lovers, fellow food lovers! They'll treat you well.) Here are some of the stuff I did with it!

The Greatest Mash Ever, No Kidding (recipe pretty much taken from the Abel & Cole cookbook)
Serves 4-5
- 10 small to medium potatoes
- half a green cabbage
- Dijon mustard
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- butter
- half a lemon
- some form of liquid dairy

Peel and chop your 'tatoes and boil them in salted water until soft. While they're bubbling, rince and slice up your cabbage. Fry it in a little olive oil, season and add the lemon juice.
When the potatoes are done, drain then mash them with a knob of butter, milk to your liking, salt and pepper and a tablespoon of Dijon mustard. Add the cabbage in and serve!


Spicy roasted veg
Serves 4 as a side, 2 as a main
- 1 romanesco cauliflower
- 1 courgette
- 3-4 carrots
- 2-3 medium potatoes
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- half a lemon
- olive oil
- chilli flakes
- piment d'Espelette (or similar mild-but-flavoursome chilli powder)
- salt and pepper

Preheat the oven on 180°C. Peel the potatoes and carrots, chop 'em. Chop the garlic cloves into big chunks. Cut up the romanesco cauli in little florets (little enough to eat.) For the courgettes, I use my mum's technique of only peeling stripes off because, yes, it looks cool (but don't forget to rince it!) Place all that on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and the lemon juice, season and add spices to your liking.
Roast for 30-45 minutes, mixing the veg a few times, and I suggest serving them with couscous or quinoa topped with pomegranate seeds!


Ready, set, and cook! Will see you soon for more ad-veg-tures... hehe x

2 comments:

  1. Nah Gaelle, nah. Cleo has come up with the best mash recipe. Basically just make your standard, buttery mashed potato with a good glug of milk, salt, and pepper, then stir in lightly fried leeks and fresh red chilli. AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete