1 Feb 2013

La Pâtisserie des Rêves

Today we talk food. But not any food. What I'm going to show you today is dream-like food, 'I can't believe how good this is' food, pretty, delicious, and overall excellent food.

You might remember that back in October (yes, I know), I went to Paris for a few days with two of my housemates. A lot of the trip revolved around food because a) we were in France and I consider us Frenchmen to be pretty good at making all sort of delicious things and b) I was making the decisions. I asked my friends for what they'd like to do, and it was then up to me to find where to go. So when Laura asked to go to a real French pâtisserie, I knew right away where I wanted us to go.


La Pâtisserie des Rêves is Philippe Conticini's delicious project. He had the idea of reinventing some of the French classics of pâtisserie to highlight and rediscover not only their taste, but also their elegance. He wanted them pleasurable to the taste buds and eye alike. After tasting them, I can tell you without a doubt that he did it, and he did it well.

This is a beautiful experience of gourmandise focused on creating new memories around the pâtisseries French kids grow up with. The idea is reflected in the shop: unquestionably the most beautiful and delicate place I've ever been to.


All the cakes are presented under these glass bubbles which create at first a surprising sci-fi like environment, but soon makes you feel like you're literally floating on a cloud made of cakes.


The girls went for this box which had six miniatures of French classics, such as the tarte tatin, the Paris Brest and others I can't remember! ;) But I do remember their faces while eating them—looks to me like it was pretty good.

As for me...



Although I think this picture speaks for itself, I'll tell you a bit more. This is the Kyoto-Brest, Conticini's new take on the traditional Paris-Brest. He uses matcha tea, yuzu lemon and azuki (a sweet paste made from red beans) in this recipe—all Japanese specialties, hence the updated name. It was definitely one of the best things I've ever had.



tl;dr: If you're ever in Paris, definitely check out La Pâtisserie des Rêves. They have two or three stores and also sell fab biscuits and miniature cakes to carry around in bags and savour while sitting on the banks of the Seine.

La Pâtisserie des Rêves de Philippe Conticini, rue du Bac & rue de Longchamp, Paris.

1 comment: